Ten Must-See Maine Lighthouses
10 Famous & Favorite Maine Lighthouses
If you like lighthouses, Maine is the place to visit. There are more than 60 lighthouses that dot the coastal regions of Maine. The lighthouse has become a symbol for Maine and they have guided many mariners around rocky ledges and dense fog for more than 200 years. Michigan is the only state that can say it has more lighthouses than Maine. Ask us about Maine Lighthouses or share comments. To feature your Maine business, contact us.
Top Maine Lighthouses
PEMAQUID POINT LIGHTHOUSE
Commissioned by John Quincy Adams in 1827, this Maine lighthouse not only features a Fisherman’s Museum, but it also offers weekly rentals on the second floor. The museum contains artifacts of local maritime history, as well as items from the lighthouse itself. The Pemaquid Point light is located at the entrance to Muscongus Bay and John Bay, near the town of Bristol.
PORTLAND HEAD LIGHT STATION
Located on Cape Elizabeth, at the southwest entrance to Portland Harbor, this lighthouse is Maine’s oldest. Commissioned by George Washington in 1787, Portland Head lighthouse is one of Maine’s most photographed and features a beautiful keeper’s house with Victorian architecture and a red roof.
Perched at the tip of Cape Neddick in York, Maine, this favorite lighthouse was first put into use in 1879. Nubble lighthouse has one of only two Fresnel lenses still used in Maine today. Although not open to the public, Nubble is one of Maine’s most photographed and can be viewed by telescopes mounted in Sophier Park. Nubble Lighthouse is a short drive from Ogunquit, Kittery, and southern Maine.
CAPE ELIZABETH LIGHT
Also known as ‘Two Lights”, the Cape Elizabeth lighthouses were originally built in 1828. Although the western tower is privately owned and no longer in service, the eastern tower continues to function today. Cape Elizabeth light has seen several shipwrecks, including the schooner Australia, and was painted several times by artist Edward Hopper. Cape Elizabeth is not open to the public and is best viewed by boat.
WEST QUODDY HEADLIGHT
Located in Lubec, Maine, the West Quoddy lighthouse was first built in 1858 and is most well known for its vivid red and white stripes, topped by a black lantern and red dome. Located near the Canadian border, West Quoddy is the easternmost lighthouse in the United States and participates each year in the annual Lights Across the Border Lighthouse Challenge.
PORTLAND BREAKWATER LIGHTHOUSE
Also known as the ‘Bug Light’, the Portland Breakwater Light was first built in 1855 in South Portland, Maine. Portland Breakwater’s most distinguishing characteristic is its architecture. This lighthouse was fashioned after the Greek ‘Choragic Monument’ in Athens and features six Corinthian columns. The Bug is currently an active lighthouse, but the public can view its spectacular details up close from the nearby Bug Light Park.
HENDRICK’S HEAD LIGHTHOUSE
Perched on the edge of the Sheepscot River in West Southport, Maine, Hendrick’s Headlight comes with some of the most interesting stories. Not only has Hendrick’s been the site of several rescue missions, but it is also said to be haunted by a ghost known as ‘The Lady of the Dusk”. The further myth surrounding Hendrick’s lighthouse suggests that the notorious pirate Blackbeard hid treasure here. This light is not open to the public.
SEGUIN ISLAND LIGHT STATION
Located at the mouth of the Kennebec River, the Seguin Light has one of only two Fresnel lights still in use today. Perched 180 feet above the ocean, the Seguin lighthouse is Maine’s tallest and can be seen from Popham Beach State Park near Bath, Maine. The schooner ‘Gondola’ and the Boston-based “Jos. W. Bartlet was both shipwrecked at Seguin Island, and the lighthouse is said to be haunted by former lightkeepers.
MONHEGAN ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE
Located ten miles offshore of the mainland community of Port Clyde, Monhegan Island lighthouse is constructed of granite and was first built in 1850 by noted architect, Alexander Parris. With alternating red and white flashes, Monhegan Island Light was Maine’s first colored lighthouse. Both the grounds and the keeper’s house museum are open to the public.
ISLE AU HAUT LIGHT STATION
Also known as Robinson Point Light, the Isle Au Haut lighthouse stands 40 feet tall and is perched slightly offshore. The lighthouse is connected to the keeper’s house by a wooden catwalk and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Up until 2007, this lighthouse featured a Victorian bed & breakfast known as “The Keeper’s House”. Robinson Point Light is part of Acadia National Park, is open to the public, and can be reached by mailboat.
- Rounded Toe Design and Flex & Fold: This supports healthy feet with its unique shape giving complete freedom of movement. The Hey Dude Wally Men’s Lace Up Loafers Comfortable & Light-Weight will be an instant favorite in your modern-casual shoe collection and are the ideal men’s shoes.
- Lightweight with Elastic Laces: Manufactured using an elastic material that allows them to flex with the foot, resulting in a shoe that fits more uniformly. Each shoe weighs 6 ounces or less making it one of the lightest pairs of shoes around. The ideal Hey Dude Shoes for Men that you will surely love.
- Comfortable Durable High-Quality Material: Designed with you in mind. This Wally shoe boasts the comfort of walking on clouds. Featuring an insole that reduces odors, lightweight outsole, and breathable cotton fabric that makes the Wally one of the most comfortable shoes on the market.
- Great For Travel & On The Go: The removable memory foam cushioned insole provides maximum comfort and reduces sweating and odors. Machine Washable Friendly (Cold). Sizing Tip: If you usually wear half sizes, we suggest choosing the next size up for the best overall fit.
- Contains five (5) 10-count boxes of Propel Powder Packets Raspberry Lemonade (1), Berry (1), Grape (2), Kiwi Strawberry (1) with Electrolytes, Vitamins and No Sugar
- How Gatorade does water, with Gatorade electrolytes to put back what you lose in sweat
- Propel provides electrolytes and is an excellent source of vitamin B and antioxidant vitamins C and E
- Made with zero sugar, Propel Powder Packets help you get the most out of your workout without adding calories
- Pour one packet into a 16.9-fl. oz. water bottle, then shake until mixed
- Click the Maui Jim link above to visit our brand store, where you can find our entire catalog of sunglasses
- All Maui Jim sunglasses feature PolarizedPlus2 lens technology that go beyond shielding your eyes from glare and harmful UV rays by enhancing colors to reveal the true beauty of the world around you
- Enjoy ultimate UV protection combined with premium style, incredible durability, glare-free vision, and color-boosting patented technologies
- Neutral Grey lenses offer the highest available light reduction and are most useful in bright, direct sunlight
- Lenses made with MauiPure material for crisp optics and excellent shatter & scratch resistance
- THIS WOMEN'S SHOE IS FOR: Runners looking for a smooth ride that won’t distract from the fun of the run. The Ghost 14 offers a simplified midsole construction which creates more seamless transitions. This Brooks Ghost 14 is a certified PDAC A5500 Diabetic shoe and has been granted the APMA Seal of Acceptance.
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The Ghost 14 offers neutral support while providing high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Ghost 114
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without losing responsiveness and durability - yet it feels lighter than ever. DNA LOFT now makes up the entire midsole, for a softer, smoother, ride.
- SMOOTH, STABLE RIDE: No matter how your foot lands, our Segmented Crash Pad - an integrated system of shock absorbers - will cushion every step and stride for smooth heel-to-toe transitions.
- SOFT, SECURE, FIT: More strategic use of the 3D Fit Print upper technology provides structure that moves with the foot.
- Fabric: Mesh
- Rubber sole
- Lightweight, breathable, and flexible
- Lace-up closure
- Round toe
- Everyday Commute & Business Travel Design: Built in padded laptop compartment with secure strap to protect up to 17.3 inch laptop; Durable easy glide wheels for easy mobility and transport from one location to another
- Organized Mobile Office: Large spacious compartment accommodating and transporting must have documents, notebooks, binders and bulky files
- Quick Access : Full size front zipper organizer compartment with multiple pockets designed to keep smaller business necessities organized; Easy access front pocket to quickly access travel essentials and store last minute items
- Roll or Carry Handle System: Push Button Telescoping Handle Retracts into a Zippered Compartment When Not in Use; Dual Top Padded Handles Allow for Comfortable Carrying
- Travel Friendly: Fits into most airline overhead bin compartments and meets most US airline carry on size requirements; This product is backed by Solo's unstoppable 5 year warranty
- Rubber sole
- Shaft measures approximately not_applicable from arch
- Genuine leather uppers
- Lace-up sneaker featuring mesh upper with supportive overlays and padded collar
- Cushioned mesh tongue
- Memory Foam Insole
- Soft, lightweight, breathable ribbed knit
- An Amazon brand