Maine Hiking Trails
Maine Hikes, Paths & Walking Trails
Maine Hiking and Backpacking are favorite Maine vacation activities. We found scenic and easy Maine hikes, ocean walks, and wooded paths. Maine is an ideal place for a Northeast hiking vacation adventure.
The famous “Marginal Way” ocean walk in Ogunquit, Maine is a paved path that provides amazing ocean views. Some Maine State Parks and National Parks are open all year, but as the temperatures warm, Maine trails and parks come to life. Variety, affordability, and congeniality are all part of Maine hiking.
We share the Best of Maine. To feature your Maine business in Maine Living, contact us.
Maine Hikes & Backpacking Trails
The Bethel Inn Resort & Suites, On The Common, 21 Broad Street, Bethel, ME 04217 | 207-824-2175
Embrace the scenic beauty of Maine's White Mountains at Bethel Inn & Resort. A 1919 year-round family resort with fully updated traditional guest accommodations complemented with fully equipped townhomes and 200 acres of resort amenities. Breakfast is served daily in the Main Dining Room. Craft brews and handcrafted cocktails and more in the comfortable Millbrook Tavern & Grille. Award-winning 18-hole championship golf course, health club with an outdoor heated pool, fitness center, and saunas. Miles of biking trails right here at the resort.
Visit Bethel Inn Resort & Suites - Bethel, ME
Exploring Maine’s Diverse Hiking Trails and Outdoor Recreations by Region
Maine’s rugged and diverse landscape offers an abundance of hiking trails, walking paths, and outdoor recreation areas that cater to adventurers of all levels. Whether you’re a casual walker, an avid hiker, or someone seeking the thrill of scaling Maine’s highest peaks, the state has something to offer for everyone. Read about popular Maine hiking trails, walking paths, and outdoor recreation spots in each region of Maine, highlighting iconic locations such as the Marginal Way, the Appalachian Trail, and the most hiked mountains.
Coastal Beauty: Marginal Way in Ogunquit
Marginal Way, located in the charming seaside town of Ogunquit, is a picturesque 1.25-mile coastal path that offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. The trail meanders along the rugged shoreline, featuring well-maintained pathways, benches, and lookout points that allow visitors to immerse themselves in the beauty of the Maine coast. Marginal Way is an ideal destination for a leisurely stroll, bird watching, and soaking in the coastal ambiance.
Embarking on the Epic: The Appalachian Trail
The Appalachian Trail (AT) winds its way through Maine, covering approximately 281 miles of the total 2,200-mile trail that stretches from Georgia to Maine. Maine’s portion of the AT is renowned for its challenging terrain and stunning wilderness. Hikers can experience a true backcountry adventure as they traverse through remote wilderness areas, dense forests, and the dramatic peaks of the White Mountains. Baxter State Park marks the northern terminus of the AT, where hikers can celebrate their accomplishment by summiting the iconic Mount Katahdin.
Scaling the Peaks: Most Hiked Maine Mountains
Maine is a haven for mountain enthusiasts, offering a variety of peaks that cater to hikers of different skill levels. Some of the most hiked mountains in the state include:
- Mount Katahdin: As the highest peak in Maine and the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, Mount Katahdin is a challenging yet rewarding climb. The Knife’s Edge trail offers a thrilling and narrow ridge walk, while the Hunt Trail provides a more gradual ascent.
- Cadillac Mountain: Located within Acadia National Park, Cadillac Mountain offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding islands and ocean. Visitors can either drive to the summit or opt for the rewarding hike to the top.
- Tumbledown Mountain: Known for its rugged terrain and alpine ponds, Tumbledown Mountain offers a moderately challenging hike with breathtaking vistas. The Tumbledown Ridge Trail rewards hikers with stunning views of the surrounding lakes and mountains.
- Mount Agamenticus: Situated near the town of York, Mount Agamenticus features a network of trails catering to various skill levels. The summit offers sweeping views of the Atlantic Ocean and the surrounding landscapes.
- Pleasant Mountain: Found in southwestern Maine, Pleasant Mountain is part of the Shawnee Peak ski area and offers several trails to its summit. The Fire Warden’s Trail is a popular route that rewards hikers with a stunning view of Moose Pond.
Exploring Outdoor Recreation Areas
Apart from the hiking trails and mountains, Maine boasts numerous outdoor recreation areas that are perfect for nature enthusiasts:
- Acadia National Park: Known for its diverse landscape of mountains, forests, lakes, and oceanfront, Acadia National Park offers hiking, biking, kayaking, and wildlife watching.
- Grafton Notch State Park: This park is home to the renowned Gulf Hagas Rim Trail, also known as the “Grand Canyon of Maine,” offering spectacular waterfalls and rugged scenery.
- Rangeley Lakes Region: With its interconnected network of trails and pristine lakes, this area is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts engaged in hiking, boating, fishing, and camping.
- Moosehead Lake: The largest lake in Maine offers opportunities for boating, fishing, and exploring surrounding trails, including the renowned Borestone Mountain.
In conclusion, Maine’s diverse regions offer a plethora of hiking trails, walking paths, and outdoor recreation areas that showcase the state’s natural beauty. From the coastal allure of Marginal Way to the epic journey of the Appalachian Trail and the charm of the most hiked mountains, Maine’s outdoor offerings are an adventurer’s dream come true. So, lace up your hiking boots, pack your sense of exploration, and venture into the heart of Maine’s natural wonders.
Maine Hiking Trails by Region
Aroostook ME Hikes and Trails
Fort Kent, Houlton, Presque Isle
Downeast & Acadia ME Hikes and Trails
Bar Harbor, Blue Hill, Deer Isle, Eastport, Lubec, Cherryfield, Machias
Katahdin & Moosehead ME Hikes and Trails
Bangor, Brewer, Greenville, Lincoln, Millinocket, Orono
Kennebec & Moose River ME Hikes and Trails
Augusta, Skowhegan, Waterville, The Forks
Lakes & Mountains ME Hikes and Trails
Auburn, Lewiston, Norway, Bethel, Farmington, Naples
Midcoast ME Hikes and Trails
Bath, Boothbay Harbor, Camden, Rockland, Brunswick, Belfast, Searsport
Greater Portland ME Hikes and Trails
Portland, Freeport, Yarmouth, Westbrook, Cape Elizabeth
South Coastal Maine Hikes and Trails
Biddeford, Kennebunk, Kittery, Ogunquit, Old Orchard Beach, Saco, Wells, York
HIKING ESSENTIALS ON SALE
|BALEAF Women's Hiking Pants Quick Dry Water Resistant Lightweight Joggers Pant for All Seasons Elastic Waist Black Size M||$37.99||On Sale Now|
|Columbia mens Newton Ridge Plus Ii Waterproof Boot Hiking Shoe, Cordovan/Squash, 10.5 US||$72.95||On Sale Now|
|Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Amped Hiking Boot, Waterproof Leather, Oxford Tan/Dusty Green, 8||On Sale Now|
|TrailBuddy Trekking Poles - Adjustable Hiking Poles for Backpacking & Camping Gear - Set of 2 Collapsible Walking Sticks, Aluminum with Cork Grip||$39.99||On Sale Now|
|Columbia womens Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot, Black/Poppy Red, 7.5 US||$70.64||On Sale Now|
|Garmin 010-02256-00 eTrex 22x, Rugged Handheld GPS Navigator, Black/Navy||$175.00||On Sale Now|
|Garmin 010-02258-10 GPSMAP 64sx, Handheld GPS with Altimeter and Compass, Preloaded With TopoActive Maps, Black/Tan||$329.00||On Sale Now|
|Garmin GPSMAP 66i, GPS Handheld and Satellite Communicator, Featuring TopoActive mapping and inReach Technology||$389.99||On Sale Now|
|Garmin 010-02602-00 inReach Mini 2, Lightweight and Compact Satellite Communicator, Hiking Handheld, Orange||$382.98||On Sale Now|
|Garmin Montana 700, Rugged GPS Handheld, Routable Mapping for Roads and Trails, Glove-Friendly 5" Color Touchscreen||$599.99||On Sale Now|
|Spot Gen 4 Satellite GPS Messenger | Handheld Portable GPS Messenger for Hiking, Camping, Outdoor Activities | Globalstar Satellite Network Coverage | Subscription Applicable||$99.95 ($11.11 / in)||On Sale Now|
|Jeanoko GPS Navigator Portable Handheld GPS Compass Location Tracker USB Rechargeable for Outdoor Hiking Traveling Hunting Wild Exploration AC110V US Plug||$113.19||On Sale Now|
|Amazfit T-Rex 2 Smart Watch for Men, Dual-Band & 6 Satellite Positioning, 24-Day Battery Life, Ultra-Low Temperature Operation, Rugged Outdoor GPS Military Smartwatch, Real-time Navigation-Green||$199.99||On Sale Now|
|Polar Grit X Pro - GPS Multisport Smartwatch - Military Durability, Sapphire Glass, Wrist-based Heart Rate, Long Battery Life, Navigation - Best for Outdoor Sports, Trail Running, Hiking||$435.00||On Sale Now|
|Garmin Rino 750t Two-Way Radio Navigator with Topo Mapping with Wearable4U E-Bank Bundle||$604.99||On Sale Now|
|Merrell Men's Moab Adventure Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot, Dark Earth, 11 M US||On Sale Now|
|Merrell Women's Moab 2 MID Gore-TEX Hiking Boot, Brindle, 8||$78.95||On Sale Now|
|Merrell mens Alverstone Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot, Boulder, 11 US||$78.96||On Sale Now|
|Merrell Men's Moab 2 Vent Mid Beluga Hiking Boot 10 M US||$89.95||On Sale Now|
|Timberland mens Anti-fatigue Hiking Waterproof Leather Mt. Maddsen Chukka Boot, Brown, 10.5 US||$89.95||On Sale Now|